Wednesday 19 October 2016

Mungo Walk #1

The walk from Culross to Glasgow is going to take me four days at about 10 miles a day. On the walk I'll be taking photos, posting to Instagram, recording audio, and collecting samples. 

So without further ado, my first trek is complete!


My walk started at Saint Mungo's Chapel, built 1000 years after the event of Mungo's birth, but now a complete ruin, However this was the location of where Saint Mungo was born.

The chapel stands back from the shoreline of the Forth where Mungo's exiled mother in her coracle was washed ashore in the sixth century. It was very contemplative to stand at both places and know that 1500 years ago these events were unfolding where I now stood.

I continued up the hill to the ruins of Culross Abbey. Again this building was built long after Mungo and his mother were taken in by monks. The original monastery on the site is long gone, but the sense of wonder still remains.

My path then took me west towards Alloa, through paths in the woods where Mungo himself may have trodden.

No comments:

Post a Comment